I need you to make me a promise . . .
I want you to be successful in nursing school. What does that mean?
To me success can mean a lot of things. I think for nursing school it means learning all that you can to become a safe, competent, compassionate nurse.
AND . . .
Making the grade you need to accomplish the goals you have in your career.
That is my goal and purpose behind NRSNG.com . . . to give you the tools you need to achieve success and reach your goals.
That’s why I have put HOURS and HOURS into creating study aids like:
Best selling Amazon books:
Tons of study guides and notes that I have available on NRSNG.com right HERE.
And the Med of the Day Podcast to help your learn Nursing Pharmacology
So please promise me you will take advantage of all of these tools to help you achieve success during nursing school . . .
TIP #3: 3 Tools That Make Nursing School a Breeze
Okay, enough of the mushy stuff.
Let’s get on with tip #3.
Today I want to share with you a few tools that I used during nursing school that helped me keep organized and stay on top of the assignments as well as communicate with my classmates.
If you use these tools right you will suddenly have so much more time to focus on what really matters: learning and patient care.
Tool #1: Private Facebook Groups
No doubt you have used Facebook groups in the past, but I want to show you how Facebook groups can help with nursing school.
You can use a private Facebook Group for the following things:
- Create the group with the students from your cohort to communicate on assignment due dates.
- Only invite those individuals from your cohort.
- Make the group private so other students and instructors are not able to access your private messages.
- Private chat with members regarding your frustrations.
- Share tips and study guides with other members.
The private FB group I had with the students in my cohort saved me HOURS and HOURS of headaches regarding assignments.
It also allowed me to vent some of my frustrations about tests, teachers, assignments, clinical, etc. . . you get the picture.
How do I create a private FB Group?
- On the left panel of your FB home page there is a tab for all the groups you are in. Click on the “MORE” button.
- On the next screen click on the “+Create Group” button.
- Fill in the information about your group.
- Keep the group private. Either Closed or Secret is best for this.
- You will need to be friends with the people in your cohort that you want to add to the group.
- From there it is like a normal FB Page where you can add posts, pics, etc . . . to keep members up to date.
Tool #2: Dropbox
Dropbox is a lifesaver for me.
What Dropbox does is allow you to save documents to the “Cloud” meaning that you can access them from anywhere in the world.
You can also install Dropbox on your computer, laptap, or phone. By doing this, anytime you edit a document on any computer anywhere in the world . . . not only does it update online, but it also automatically updates the file on those devices that have Dropbox installed.
I first started using Dropbox after a fiasco of losing a clinical write up during nursing school.
After getting over the devastation of losing my hard work I was introduced to Dropbox and my life has changed forever.
Oh . . . and the best part?
Dropbox is free to use at first.
Just go to dropbox.com to get started.
Here is a little video that explains exactly what Dropbox is and how it works.
Tool #3: Google Drive
Yep, I think it is important to use both Google Drive and Dropbox during nursing school.
Google Drive works in a similar way to Dropbox in that it allows you to have access to your files on the cloud.
This basically means you have access from anywhere you have an internet connection.
The reason I suggest Google Drive is that it allows for live editing of documents in real time.
This is incredibly useful when you have to work on a group paper.
Rather than having everyone in the group meet in person you can each meet in remote locations and work on the document together or when you have the time to work on it.
Drive also has a chat function and a notes function so you can make notes on changes.
How I Used Drive in Nursing School
- Group study guides. Each member had a different text color to answer questions on the study guide.
- Group papers. Each team member could add to the paper as needed.
- Scheduling. I kept a live calendar of each weeks task.
Here is a nice video that explains what Google Drive is and how to use it.
This email is starting to get a bit long! And I have only shared 3 amazing tools with you.
I can tell you that these tools saved me so much headache, heartache, and stress while in nursing school.
I am confident that it can save you the same stress and troubles!
I am so excited for you to be working toward becoming a nurse. This is such an amazing career! You can do amazingly well . . . and amaze yourself with what you are capable of . . . trust me . . . I did it!
-Jon Haws RN CCRN
p.s. I am working on an AMAZING app that will help you prepare for the like no other. SIMCLEX uses the exact same algorithms the actual uses (no other prep program does this) and you can take it with you on your phone or tablet! >>Click Here to Check it Out<<