What is Platelets ((PLT)) in terms of Nursing Labs?
Platelets (PLT) play a role in coagulation, hemostasis, and thrombus formation. Platelets are the smallest blood cell, damaged vessels send out signals that result in platelets traveling to the area and becoming “active”.
What would cause increased levels of Platelets?
- Polycythemia Vera
- Postsplenectomy syndrome
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Iron-deficiency anemia
- Hemolytic anemia
- Birth control
What would cause decreased levels of Platelets?
- Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia (ITP)
- Inherited thrombocytopenia disorders:
- Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome
- Bernard-Soulier Syndrome
- Zieve Syndrome
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Drug Therapy:
- Sulfa antibiotics
- Thiazide diuretics
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
- Hemolytic anemia’s
Date Published - Jul 21, 2016
Date Modified - Jun 21, 2019