What is Folic Acid () in terms of Nursing Labs?
Folic acid is an essential water soluble B vitamin. It is stored in the liver and is an important part of Red Blood Cell (RBC) and White Blood Cell (WBC) function, DNA replication, and cell division.
What are the Indications for Folic Acid?
- Diagnose megaloblastic anemia
- Monitor effects of long-term Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN)
- Identify Folate Deficiency
What would cause decreased levels of Folic Acid?
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Pernicious anemia
- Hemolytic anemia
- Celiac Disease or Crohn Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBS)
Date Published - May 31, 2016
Date Modified - Jun 27, 2016